It ain't necessarily so

Saturday 26 February 2011

While I know that it's perfectly normal for bloggers to post photos of themselves on their blogs (indeed, a lot of blogs are made up solely of photos of the blogger), those of you who are regular readers may have noticed that I very rarely do this. This isn't because I'm particularly self-conscious; I just feel that there's more interesting things for me to write about than 'what I wore today'. That's not to say that I don't like seeing what other people wore (those of you who do post photos of yourselves, please don't see this as a criticism, because it's really not!) - there are loads of bloggers whose outfit posts I love reading - Gem, Fritha, Emma plus tons more, but, quite frankly, I just don't think that inundating you all with photos of me would make this blog a more interesting read.

I do think though, that outfit photos can be a big contributing factor to blogs becoming successful. I guess what it comes down to is that we're all a bit nosey - we like to see what other girls our age are wearing and where they shop etc. Plus, personal style blogs can be great inspiration; I can't tell you how many times I've seen items on other blogs and then gone out and bought them myself. I can't help but wonder if my blog would be more popular if I posted outfit photos? I'd be interested to know what other people thought about this; those of you who do write blogs, how do you feel about outfit or 'face of the day' photos? Do you do it? And when you're reading other blogs, do you like seeing lots of outfit/FOTD posts? Let's get a discussion going on this one!

The reason I've been thinking about all this is because today, shock HORROR, I am posting a photo of myself! Foundation-free-February is coming to an end, and while Dani has done quite a few posts on how it's going and what she's been doing to makeup-wise to combat the lack of foundation, I feel like I've not really embraced the challenge as much as she has. So, without further ado, here is my foundation-free face;

(still in my pyjamas)

This is the makeup I wear daily - lots of mascara and eyeliner, some concealer and highlighter under my eyes, a bit of blusher and bronzer and (I think) Rose Vaseline. I've never really had particularly problematic skin; I do get the occasional blemish and have a big patch of blocked pores around my chin that I just can't shift (grrr), but apart from that, the main reason why I'd choose to wear foundation is to even out my skin tone - as you can see from the photo, I have quite a few freckles and a bit of sun damage here and there (probably from being a naughty sunbed user when I was a teenager). To be perfectly honest, I can't say I've noticed a great deal of difference in my skin since starting the challenge; the blocked pores are still there and I've currently got a spot on my cheek, so maybe this suggests that foundation isn't actually guilty of causing skin problems? Even so, I'm sure my skin has appreciated going without a daily layer of foundation for the past few weeks. Also, I haven't missed foundation much and I've kind of gotten used to not wearing it now, so I think I'll probably just stick with my new routine and not bother with it unless I really feel I need it. All in all, a positive outcome I'd say! Do you wear foundation daily? Reckon you could go without it? Try it, I dare you!

Slightly weird photo I know, but I completely forgot to photograph this nail art so this is the only image I have. You can't really see, but some of the leopard spots are actually different coloured rhinestones! I got really inspired by Selina's fabulous nails and bought some rhinestones, bows and flowers on eBay a little while back. They were from Hong Kong, so took over two weeks to arrive, but they're here now and I'm very excited! Expect lots more crazy nail art in the future, both here and on my nail art page!

5 comments:

  1. I know what you mean, I like to write in my posts (usually with the odd picture of my cat!) and posts do seem to bring in the followers, but i'm a little...embarrassed to do it? Especially if my boyfriend caught me posing away, I'd be mocked for months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh you look lovely! Like you I haven't noticed any positive difference in my skin so there goes my mum's theory that it's make-up's fault that my skin is so bad...must be a diet thing then? No idea...
    This is an interesting post because I've definitely noticed a surge in followers since I started posting outfit photos and they're surprisingly popular - something I don't really get, because I don't think I dress especially fashionably?! - but then I do appreciate other people's style posts! I do prefer posts with more text than photos though, you get a better sense of their personality that way!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look wonderful girlie! Your skin in flawless, doesnt look like you even need foundation at all :) I like your blog the way it is, and watching your youtube vids is great too. I think you should just keep doing what youre doing, and dont feel like you need to give in to 'ootd' posts etc. I do like them, but tbh theyre everywhere. What you have here is much more original and I love a good chunk of text to read too :) Although you do have a wonderfully pretty face and I would def not complain if i saw it on here more often :p xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not much of an outfit poster either really, lucky if you see one a week of me! But you definitely should not hide from the camera - as long as the content is interesting and relevant, I don't like blogs who post pictures of themselves for no discernible reason... I don't tend to wear foundation every day at all but I can imagine how strange and liberating it must be for people who do! :) jazzy ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look great without foundation! I'm soo natural pale i look quite ill without make up :L I love the nail art i have been really into nail art recently :)

    ReplyDelete

Give me the thoughts from your brains...
(please note, all spam will be deleted, so back off, spam-monkeys!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...