A girl who turned into a swan

Sunday 30 January 2011

Unless you've been hiding in some kind of underground bunker for the past couple of months, you've probably, by now, heard some talk of the film Black Swan. Every blog post, Tweet and Facebook update that I've seen lately, seems to mention something along the lines of "went to see Black Swan yesterday, it was amazing!" which is fair, because it is seriously bloody good; I thoroughly recommend it.

[Images from imdb.com]

Ballet is one of those things I really wish I'd done when I was younger - it's so amazing to watch and I'm very jealous of people who are able to dance like that. And the costumes are so beautiful! I've always had a bit of a thing for tutus; anyone who's read some of my older posts may remember this one about my favourite photograph of all time, Les Pointes, by Isabel Munoz. There's just something about the movement of all those layers of tulle that is so magical and lovely.
I was particularly excited to discover that Kate and Laura Mulleavy, aka the designers behind the label Rodarte, designed and made all of the ballet costumes in the film. You can't really tell from the two images above, but the costumes are insanely detailed and covered in hundreds of feathers. I think it was a brilliant idea to have the Mulleavy sisters design the ballet costumes, as they're renowned for producing intricately detailed clothing which is often beautiful with a dark or gothic edge; perfect for Black Swan. I've had these images from their Fall 2008 collection saved on my laptop for about a year but never actually used them for anything - now seems to be the perfect time as there's definitely something ballet-like in the full skirts and tight, pulled back hairstyles;

I WANT those tights.

[images from style.com]

*SIGH* It's all so beautiful!
Back to the film - I'm not going to go into the plot or anything like that - there's plenty of reviews out there on t'Interwebs (especially here!) and like I've already said, it seems most people have seen it by now or are planning on going. All I'm going to say is, it's absolutely stunning and the performances are incredible (Natalie Portman is surely a shoe-in for the Oscar). However, if you haven't seen it yet, and you're as wimpy as me, be prepared to be a bit freaked out in parts because there are some seriously dark, gruesome moments!*

*To be fair, I really am a MASSIVE wimp - I'm too scared to watch 127 Hours, even though I love James Franco, because I don't want to sit through the arm cutting off scene - so maybe the stuff in Black Swan isn't actually that bad. Have you seen it? What did you think?

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, I thought Black Swan was quite good! I was left a bit "?" at the end because I wasn't sure how some of the things happened if they didn't actually happen, if you know what I mean. Like the scene where her legs turn into swan legs and she hit her head; how did that happen in "real life" in the film?! I'm not making sense but yes, I am also too scared to see 127 Hours because of THAT scene! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou for the comment on my blog:) I have also seen black swan and loved it! Although it is rather scary :/ also love your marbling nail pics in the previous post, really need to try that!
    Amy,x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to be all irritating and controversial here but...I didn't like it! I really loved the performances, I think Natalie Portman was great, and it was visually stunning at points but I didn't feel watching it was an enjoyable experience, the plot was disappointing and I'm not sure I'd see it again. I just came out of the cinema feeling a bit let down! Bit of a contradiction there, I know, but hey! I replied to your comment on my latest post, by the way :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah i really wanted to watch black swan tomorrow but the latest viewing was at like 2 so now i'm watching tangled hahahaa and OMG I LOOOVE the first piece, so graceful and beautiful

    hope you'll visit/follow
    www.marylee31.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment- I really enjoyed In Bruges! I didn't think it was amazing as I watched it but kept thinking back afterwards and keep liking it more and more, it's growing on me the more I think about it!

    Think I'm going to see Black Swan on Thursday (very behind!) and really excited after reading everyone's reviews.

    127 hours was SO gruesome. I really didn't enjoy it and even tried to make myself fall asleep in the cinema as I just wanted to stop watching!xx

    ReplyDelete

Give me the thoughts from your brains...
(please note, all spam will be deleted, so back off, spam-monkeys!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...